The following information is very important. You should read this information if you are unclear at any time as to the purposes of this site and who is responsible for its maintenance.
The site contains information only relevant to UK investors and financial advisers. This is designed to inform and protect you. There are certain legal and regulatory limitations that apply to the information contained on this web site and by proceeding you are deemed to have read and understood this warning.
The information in this section is intended for persons who are United Kingdom residents for tax and investment purposes or those who advise such persons. In particular the information is not for distribution and under no circumstances is to be considered as an offer or solicitation to deal in investments in any jurisdiction in which such offer, solicitation or distribution would be unlawful, including, but not limited to, the United States of America.
Investment in any of the products described should only be made on the basis of the applicable offer document (eg Scheme Particulars, Prospectus, Key Information Document or other Terms and Conditions). Nothing in the Aberdeen web site constitutes investment legal tax or other advice nor is it to be relied upon in making an investment decision.
The information is not to be reproduced, copied or made available to others. Any research or analysis used in the preparation of this web site has been procured by Aberdeen Asset Management PLC and its subsidiary companies ('The Company') for its own use and it may have been acted on by the Company for its own purposes.
It is believed that the information is accurate at the date of publication and no warranty is given. It may be changed without prior notice.
Any tax reliefs mentioned are those currently available and are subject to change. Their value depends on the personal circumstances of the investor. Information relating to investment trust savings schemes, investment trust ISAs is approved by Aberdeen Asset Managers Limited, authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority in the United Kingdom.
Under the terms of the Management Agreement, the Company will appoint Aberdeen Fund Managers Limited, with effect from initial Admission, as the Company's alternative investment fund manager for the purposes of AIFM rules. The AIFM will delegate portfolio management to Standard Life Investments Limited as the Investment Manager.
Key information on the key risks that are specific to the Company or its industry
The key risk factors relating to the Company and the sectors in which the Company invests include the following:
- Changes in economic conditions, general market conditions and other factors can substantially and adversely affect the value of investments and therefore the Company's performance and prospects.
- The Company has no employees and is reliant on the performance of third party service providers. Failure by any service provider to carry out its obligations to the Company could have a materially detrimental effect on the Company.
- The success of the investment strategies followed by the Investment Manager will depend upon the Investment Manager's success at interpreting market data and predicting the future course of price movements of securities and other investments. No assurance can be given that the strategies to be used will be successful.
- The departure of some or all of the Investment Manager's investment professionals could prevent the Company from achieving its investment objective which may affect the returns to Shareholders.
- The past performance of investments managed by the Investment Manager, is not indicative of future performance.
- The Company may not meet its investment objective or achieve its targeted returns. There can be no assurance that any dividends will be paid in respect of any financial year or period and no guarantee as to the level of any future dividends to be paid by the Company. There is no guarantee that the Company will achieve its stated target total return.
- The Company's targeted returns are based on estimates and assumptions that are inherently subject to significant uncertainties and contingencies, and the actual rate of return may be materially lower than the targeted returns.
- The due diligence process that the Investment Manager undertakes in connection with the Company's investments may not reveal all facts that may be relevant in connection with an investment. Any failure by the Investment Manager to identify relevant facts through its due diligence process may lead to inappropriate investment decisions, which could have a material adverse effect on the Company's profitability, net assets and share price.
- The Company may use gearing in the form of bank debt exposing investors to increased risk as gearing can increase the portfolio's market exposure and volatility.
- The Company may use derivative instruments which are subject to risks, including credit risk and the risk of settlement default.
- The Company may invest in fixed interest assets which are subject to risks, including interest rate risk and credit risk, which may expose investors to a higher risk of loss.
- The movement of exchange rates between the Company’s base currency, Sterling, and any other currencies in which the Company's investments are denominated or the base currency of an investor may have a separate effect, unfavourable as well as favourable, on the return otherwise experienced on the Company's investments. Hedging arrangements relating to foreign currency returns and exposures, if any are put in place, may or may not have the desired effect.
- There is no assurance that future political and economic conditions in the individual countries in which the Company's assets may be invested will not result in their governments adopting different policies with respect to foreign investment. Any such changes in policy may affect ownership of assets, taxation, rates of exchange, environmental protection, labour relations, repatriation of income and return of capital, thereby influencing the ability of the investments to generate profits. Such policy changes could extend to the expropriation of assets.
- The portfolio will be actively managed and will not seek to track a benchmark. Although sector concentration and thematic characteristics of the portfolio will be carefully monitored, there are no maximum limits to deviation from benchmark stock or sector weights.
- Changes in laws or regulations governing the Company's operations may adversely affect the Company's business, including through the increased expense that may be incurred in complying with such laws and regulations.
- The Company will seek to conduct its business so as to qualify as an investment trust under section 1158 of the CTA 2010. In respect of each accounting period for which the Company qualifies as an investment trust, the Company will be exempt from United Kingdom taxation on its capital gains. Any failure by the Company to satisfy the conditions to retain approval as an investment trust could lead to the Company being subject to taxation on its capital gains which would affect returns to Shareholders.
- The fair value of equity and other securities held in the Company's portfolio will fluctuate with market prices.
Other important information:
Like any investment there are risks and it is vital that you have all the information you need to make an informed decision. Any decision to invest in a new investment company launch should be made solely on the basis of the information contained in the Prospectus, when issued, and any supplement thereto. If you have any doubts about its suitability, please seek expert advice. The value of all investments can fall as well as rise, so you may get back less than you invested.
The information to which this web page gives access is only directed at, and for viewing by, persons located in the United Kingdom.
The information to which this web page gives access does not constitute an offer, investment recommendation or an invitation to purchase, securities of The Global Sustainability Trust plc (the “Company”) in the United States of America (the “United States”), Canada, Australia or Japan or in any jurisdiction other than the United Kingdom and must not be transmitted or otherwise sent to any person in those jurisdictions or any other territory where to do so would breach applicable laws or regulations.
The Company’s securities cannot be offered or sold in the United States without registration under the US Securities Act of 1933, as amended, (the “Securities Act”), except pursuant to an exemption from or in a transaction not subject to the registration requirements of the Securities Act. The Company has not registered, and does not intend to register, any of its securities under the Securities Act or to conduct a public offering of securities in the United States.
No offer or invitation to purchase securities in any jurisdiction is being made by the Company.
Issued by Aberdeen Asset Managers Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority in the United Kingdom.
Registered Office: 10 Queen’s Terrace, Aberdeen AB10 1XL. Registered in Scotland No. 108419. A member of the Aberdeen Asset Management group of companies. An investment trust should be considered only as part of a balanced portfolio. Under no circumstances should this information be considered as an offer or solicitation to deal in investments.